Heath Ledger Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dolly Interview's Heath Ledger

Go down

Dolly Interview's Heath Ledger Empty Dolly Interview's Heath Ledger

Post  Admin Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:48 pm

Dolly Interview

He's tamed the shrew, played the son of Mel Gibson, and romanced screen queen Heather Graham. But has Heath Ledger gone too Hollywood? Not a chance! We got the main man to chat about his latest adventure, "A Knight's Tale".

• Was making & Knight's Tale as much fun as it looked?

More. It was wonderful, and the friendship was the stronghold of the movie. The director brought us all together in Prague a month early, so we could rehearse. So we spent a whole month together, just getting to know each other.

• Weren't you supposed So learn horse riding and jousting?

Yeah, we were meant to, and we did. But ultimately the director just wanted us to become friends and create something that glued us all together on screen - which we did, instantly. Hopefully it will come across on screen.

• After The Patriot, you were called the "hottest young star in Hollywood". Has all the attention overwhelming?

Yeah, it is overwhelming. But I haven't lived with it for that long and I've been working pretty hard for the last 18 months straight, so it's all still new. I don't really know what it's like to live like that completely yet. To tell you the truth, I don't dwell on it. I just show up for work and live my normal life.

• Are you worried you might fall into the stereotype?

I was, but I'm not any longer.

• You serenaded Julia Stiles in 10 Things I Hate About You and you sing again here.

(Laughs) Yeah, but it's not like I come on board to the script and say "I want to have a scene where I sing." It just happened and it was in the film. But I do like to sing, though. It's a part of me.

• Did you do any of your own jousting?

We did as much of it as we could, but I'm really not willing to ride a horse towards another rider at full speed and hit them with a stick - or get hit myself! It was just way too dangerous. Stunt guys were getting injured badly One guy had his jaw ripped back and had 15 stitches, but was back on the horse two weeks later when it happened again. They were really hitting each other. Unbelievable!

• You're really the star of this film. How did you feel halting to carry most of the weight?

I wasn't that intimidated at the time. I was more intimidated after I'd made the movie and saw my mug on the poster. I know it was quite a big budget film, but between "action" and "cut" there's very little difference between a $50 million film and a $3 million one. I just go out there and do the job, and I had a great ensemble cast there to support me, so it never really felt like it was just me running the show. And in terms of the pressure of being the lead role, I just looked at it as having more time to develop my character.

• Is it true that you might do the next Mad Mar film?

Unfortunately, it's not true. I'd love to do it. It'd be great. I know they're talking about it, and I certainly hope they get Mel to do it again. And I think he would. He should.

• Are you still based in Australia?

No. I guess I'm sort of semi-based here in LA, since I've bought a house here. But if I'm not needed here, I go back home.

• So what's the real Heath like?

I don't know if i can describe myself. It's just too difficult.

• What did you inherit from your mother?

Sensitivity and acceptance. She's a very warm, caring woman.

• What about your dad?

I don't know. I guess... I don't know.

• What have you spent your money on so far?

I bought the house in LA and before that, I bought a 1970 Mustang muscle car with 450 horsepower. But it's been in and out of hospital so much, I reckon it's cursed.

• Have you seen your new house much?

No, not really. I bought it 10 months ago and I've lived in it for a total of about two months. But half of Australia has seen it, since all my mates have been over and stayed there while I was away. Also, I have a friend staying there right now who looks after everything whenever I'm not around.

• So is your life living out of suitcases?

It was (laughs). It still is, I guess. An actor's a bit like a gypsy and I like that. It's been in my nature from an early age. My parents were divorced when I was about 10, and from that point on I spent two weeks with my mum and two weeks with my dad for the next four years. So I was just going back and forth, back and forth, packing and unpacking. Then it got to the point where I was like, 'I've gotta get out of Perth,' and bang - I moved out of Perth and just kept going. And I've kept moving up till now, and I do still enjoy it. I haven't yet found any one particular place to be my one and only home.

• Was it devastating when your parents divorced?

No, I was really cool with it. I was kind of happy about it, actually. I had two houses, two sets of rules. It was wacky. I'd go to one place and when I was sick of that and needed a break I'd go to the other one. It really didn't bother me.

• You were born in Perth and grew up there?

Yeah, until I was 16. Then I jumped in a car and drove to Sydney.

• Did you go to Sydney by yourself?

No, with my best mate, Trevor. It's a long drive and it's one straight road with nothing between.

• Is he an actor as well?

No, he's not an actor. I've known him since I was three, and we haven't spent two months apart. He's like my brother. He works as my PA.

• Were you finished with school at that point?

Yeah, I did my final year exams a year early and I just left. Yeah, that train of life was flying by and I had to jump on it; I had to get out of I don't know where. I had 69 cents in my bank account and a bit of cash that my folks gave me. That's the other thing, I'm so amazed and respectful of the fact that my parents were so lenient about letting me follow my dreams. They were completely open for me to discover stuff myself. But they did warn me, they said, "If you go out and touch the fire, you'll burn yourself," and I went, "Yeah, yeah." Then I would go out and touch it, and come back with scars and say, "Yeah, you were right." But I have a wonderful relationship with them; they're like best friends of mine.

• You're only 21, but you seem very self-assured. Where does that come from?

I guess it stems from my parents and my family. They're big fans of keeping a good spirit and not breaking it. They have the attitude of letting their kids grow up and discover things for themselves and be happy with themselves. They really provided me with a comfortable environment for just being who I am, regardless, and not trying or wanting to be anything else. I guess that's how they pushed me out into the world, and from there I just found my own lifestyle and way of living.

• Can you imagine being anything but an actor?

No. I couldn't. If I didn't do this, I don't know what I'd do. I don't think I could do a regular nine to five job. The only thing I've ever done professionally is acting. Other than that, I'd probably take photos. I'd have 'to draw on something I could do, and that's photography, but I'd hate to think I'd ever have to turn a passion into a profession.

• What sort of photography do you do?

I don't really like to try and analyse it, but it's more like documentary. I'm documenting life. It doesn't really have a style, and is just about capturing the moment. I love doing it.

• What drives you mad?

Control freaks, power-hungry people and dishonesty.

• But isn't that a pretty good description of Hollywood?

(Laughs) Yeah, I guess so, and it just drives me mad.

• Do you like to read?

Yes, but I haven't had much time to in the past year. The last book I read was The Way Of The Peaceful Warrior by Daniel Mellman. It's a true story about his life and how this old man becomes his mentor. Most books I read, I forget, but this one has really stuck with me.

• Where do you like to travel to?

I want to go to the Caribbean. I've never been there and I want to explore all the islands. I want warm water and to go surfing. I also want to go to Indonesia. But there's plenty of surf in Australia - and plenty of sharks as well, unfortunately.

• Does all the attention you're getting drive you nuts?

Yeah, but only because I'm so sick of work - 18 months, long hours with no days off. I think I really need a rest.

• Do you like music?

I love it, and I take great pride in my music collection. A lot of it is Janis Joplin, Jefferson Airplane, Jim Morrison, The Cure, U2, Beck and Radiohead. And I love to go to live shows.

• Who were your idols growing up?

U2 and Bono were big for me. They were the first really influential band for me. But no actors.

• Do you ever worry that you're still so young with a long way to go in the business, and that maybe things are moving too fast?

Yes, but I don't know why I'm worried. If it all goes well, then fine. It'll be great. But it is pretty overwhelming, and I haven't had to deal with the fame and celebrity because I've just been working my arse off.

• Do you get stopped in the street a lot?

Kind of, but they don't really bug me. I'm just aware of it and I feel like I'm in everyone's peripheral vision all the time. I guess I try not to take it too seriously.

• Are you worried about losing your privacy?

Yeah, you can't help but be worried. But it's all so new for me that I don't quite know how I'm going to deal with it. I do have a good laugh about it, and I think that's probably the only way you can deal with it.

• What's up next for you?

Nothing! I'm going to take six months off. I've been working for 18 months straight, so I've really got to try and balance it out a bit. I want to travel and just live.
Admin
Admin
HEATH'S ANGEL
HEATH'S ANGEL

https://heathledger.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down